In 1922 the Coorparoo Football Club took a five year lease on the Number 2 Ground at Langlands Park Reserve. Little did they realize the significant impact that this decision would hold for the future of the club in the years to come.
The 1930s and 40s shaped our country and Rugby League was no exception, with the format of the competition and the boundaries of the districts changing throughout this period. The formation of Eastern Suburbs District Leagues Club took place in 1934 with the cessation of The Cooorparoo Football Club.
Langlands Park saw many changes before the first home game took place in 1961, with the fields being utilized by Eastern Suburbs Cricket Club for a majority of the time prior. A long standing memory of this era can be seen today with the old grand stand and cricket pavilion still standing in their original places.
The end of the 1960s was again time for change and the Annual Report of the club in 1966 mentioned the necessity for a club house and by 1968 one had been built at the southern end of Langlands Park. The original clubhouse first stood approximately where Drysdales Brasserie can be found today. It boasted a membership of 900, was run completely by volunteers and opened a grand total of 3 hours each week-night and after games, for the use of the members.
In 1973 it was approved by a special General Meeting of the Football Club to establish a fully licensed club. The Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club Ltd came into being under the capable hands of Mr Jack Atkin as Chairman and Mr Tom Drysdale as Secretary/Treasurer.
In May of 1975 the Club was granted its full liquor license and began operations. Right from the early days the club came to be known for its entertainment and quickly became a hot spot in Brisbane with many big name bands of the time appearing at the club. Names such as “Cold Chisel”, “The Radiators” and “The Angels” have all made appearances in the club throughout its history.
In 1979 the club added the auditorium and christened its opening with “Australian Crawl” headlining the night. Needless to say the line up to get in that night went all the way up Main Avenue and onto Old Cleveland Road.
With the arrival of poker machines to Queensland in the 1990s the Club yet again saw renovation, change and growth. The Club received the first of its many awards in 1996 with the RLACQ Award for “Best Club Redevelopment” and followed this up with “Brisbanes Best Club” in 1997.
In the year 2000 the Club was inducted into Club’s Queenslands Hall of Fame for winning “Best Gaming Venue” for the three years prior.
The “Storm of the Century” hit Brisbane late on a Friday afternoon in 2000 and left a trail of destruction in its path. The Club was not spared, with a wall of water cascading down the hill from Villanova College and into the Club. The damage done by the flooding was severe, with estimated losses running into the millions.
The Club fought back through the hard times and in 2005 and 2006 was rewarded for all the hard work by winning “Best Club – Brisbane and Regions”. This feat was repeated again in 2008 and 2009 and the Club added some extra silverware to the cupboard, in the form of “Queensland’s Club of the Year” 2008 and 2009.
The plans for the recent renovations were conceived back in 2008 and have quickly become a reality for the club’s members and their guests. The Club now boasts a 5 star function and events centre, and recently completed renovations in every department throughout the venue.